Is your skin still wearing its winter coat? Let’s shed the layers of dull, damaged winter skin and uncover fresh, radiant summer skin. As seasons change, so do your skin care needs. Come into Clinton Plastic Surgery for personalized advice and treatment recommendations to discover your best skin, every season of the year.
Changing Seasons, Changing Skin Care Products
Your skin serves as a barrier between your body and the world. It takes the heat on hot days and faces an icy chill on cold ones. Your skin battles sun, rain, and snow. Your skin’s needs change throughout the year as the seasonal conditions change. Give your skin the protection and care it needs, and it will function at its best. Neglect your skin, and you may experience dullness, dryness, and discomfort. We recommend reevaluating your products with each changing season.
Your daily skin care routine will look similar throughout the year. Each day you’ll want to cleanse, moisturize, regenerate, and protect the skin. As seasons change, you’ll find that most of your products remain the same, with a few simple seasonal swaps. For hot summer weather look for:
- A Lightweight Moisturizer- Skin is often dry in the winter. Now that the weather is warmer and there is more moisture in the air, you may want to change to a lighter moisturizer. This will keep your skin hydrated without feeling greasy. Heavy moisturizers can feel slimy in the summer, especially if you start to sweat.
- Sun Protection- Sun protection is a must year-round. During the summer, long days and beautiful weather means more time outdoors. If you’re not using sunscreen daily, start now. We recommend using a broad-spectrum product with an SPF of at least 15 every day. Once you’re in the sunscreen habit, keep it up, even after summer comes to an end.
We carry SkinMedica and the Obagi line of skin care products. These products are medical-grade and are formulated using highly beneficial ingredients, specifically chosen to target common skin concerns. After years of experience with many skin care lines, we’ve chosen Obagi and SkinMedica for their effectiveness and amazing results. We’ll work with you to find the right products for your skin type and the warmer weather. Ordering as easy as calling our office or visiting our online store.
Hydrate for Skin and Body
Are you drinking enough water? The skin contains about 64% water. If you’re not drinking enough, your skin will pay the price. Water intake needs vary depending on your body size, activity levels, and environment. Drink whenever you’re thirsty. Most experts agree that eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day is a good starting point for a daily hydration goal.
Summer Skin’s Not So Secret, Secret: Sunscreen
Everyone knows they should be wearing sunscreen, but it doesn’t always happen. If you’re not a regular sunscreen user, remember this: sun damage is a primary cause of premature aging. Those wrinkles and brown spots are likely caused by too much time in the sun and not enough sun protection. For gorgeous skin during the summer, and the rest of the year too, use sunscreen. We know this isn’t a secret beauty trick, everyone knows about sunscreen after all, but since sunscreen is often neglected, it is worth a reminder.
To ensure you’re getting the best results from your sunscreen, follow these simple tips:
- Use Plenty- Most people don’t use enough sunscreen. You need a dollop the size of a nickel for just the face, a shot glass full for the entire body.
- Reapply Often- Sunscreen isn’t once then done. To ensure it works all day long, you need to keep applying. Apply every two hours at a minimum, more frequently if you’re sweating or swimming.
- Don’t Rely on Sunscreen Alone- Sunscreen isn’t the only way to protect your skin from the sun. Cover up your skin with light layers, wear a hat, and choose the shade when you can.
Take Off Extra Layers
You’ve packed away your winter coat so why are you still carrying around extra layers of dull, dead skin? Exfoliation can help you shed damaged winter skin. Our Hollywood Laser Peel is one of our favorite exfoliating treatments. It uses both laser technology and a chemical peel for facial rejuvenation. It sends heat energy deep into the dermis, causing the skin to contract and tighten. This heat also destroys skin discoloration. Choose this peel to prep your skin for a big event or even just the summer season.
Repair Sun Damage
Sun damage can happen in an instant but lasts a lifetime. If you have sun damage, come see us for treatment. Our laser treatments for sun damage can help repair damage and restore the skin’s appearance. For sun damage we often recommend treatment with our fractional CO2 laser. One treatment can dramatically reduce sun damage, and with skin care maintenance and sun management, you can enjoy long-lasting results.
The weather’s warming up. Come visit our Birmingham, AL plastic surgery offices to get your skin ready for summer.