Did your skin see a little too much sun this summer? As we move into fall, many of our patients start asking about skin treatments to reverse sun damage. Fall is one of the best times to treat sun damage. Call our offices and schedule a consultation for personalized advice or keep reading to learn more about your options for treating and reversing sun damage.
Signs of Sun Damage
The sun is a major cause of skin aging, accounting for about 80% of visible aging. Wrinkles, brown spots, sagging, loss of elasticity and other age-related concerns are primarily caused by sun exposure. You don’t have to be lounging on the beach for your skin to experience negative effects from the sun. Even daily exposure, like the walk from your car to your office, can contribute to sun damage.
Do you have sun damage? Come see us to explore your treatment options.
Laser Skin Rejuvenation- Our Treatments
We offer a variety of laser skin rejuvenation treatments, many of which are excellent for treating sun-damaged skin. These treatments can be used to address sun damage on the face, neck, chest, hands, and body. We’ll help you choose the right treatments to address your concerns.
- Pixel– The Pixel laser is a fractionated CO2 laser that resurfaces the skin to treat wrinkles and sun damage. Only one treatment is needed for effective results. Expect some swelling during recovery, a process that lasts 5-7 days.
- 540/AFT– The 540/AFT is the modern version of IPL. It can treat redness, prominent blood vessels, and uneven pigmentation. No downtime is needed, but brown spots may darken for the first 10-14 days. Most patients need 1-3 treatments for optimal results.
- Accent XL– The Accent XL is a radiofrequency device that tightens skin, especially on the jawline, neck, arms, and thighs. No recovery needed. Patients receive a series of treatments and regular maintenance to achieve ideal results.
- Q-Switched YAG Pixel– See results in one treatment with the Q-Switched YAG Pixel, an excellent option for tightening skin. This treatment requires no downtime. Many of our patients describe this laser treatment as painless.
Skin Care Products
Your at-home skincare regimen can also help to treat and reverse sun damage. We may recommend lightening creams, serums, and other skincare products. Facials, chemical peels, and exfoliating treatments can also help to improve the appearance of sun-damaged skin. We’ll recommend skincare products and complementary treatments to help you achieve your best skin.
Surgical Options for Treating Sun Damage
Sun damage is a primary cause of skin aging. Often, we can correct and reverse sun damage using non-surgical laser treatments and topical creams. For more advanced aging, we may recommend surgical treatments like a facelift, blepharoplasty, or brow lift. These treatments can tighten skin, address wrinkling and sagging, and improve facial contours.
Better to Prevent Than Repair
Sun damage is treatable, but it can be difficult and time consuming to remedy years of damage. Come in for treatment to address previous damage, but also take steps to prevent future photoaging of the skin. It is always better to prevent sun damage than to repair it.
How can you protect your skin from the sun? Learn more about how to simple steps you can take to reduce sun exposure below:
- Use Sunscreen– Daily sunscreen is one of the best things you can do for your skin. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30+ for daily use. Reapply often when you’re spending time in the sun, sweating, or getting wet. We can recommend a high-quality sunscreen from the Obagi line of products if you’re interested.
- Minimize Sun Exposure– The sun is strongest between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. During these hours, stay out of the sun or minimize sun exposure if you can. When it comes to sun, less is better.
- Don’t Tan– Get a summer glow using sunless tanners, not tanning beds.
- Cover Up– Use protective clothing like a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, long sleeves, and pants whenever possible. Lightweight layers make it easier to cover-up, even in warmer temperatures.
- Seek Shade– During peak sun hours, stay in the shade whenever possible.
Don’t forget about regular skin checks, looking for changing moles and other signs of skin cancer. If you spot any changes, see a doctor. Skin cancer is very treatable when caught early.
If you’ve been negligent with your sun protection, commit to better habits starting today. By protecting your skin from the sun and visiting us for skin rejuvenation treatments, you can restore your skin and reverse sun damage. Call our Birmingham office today at (205) 408-9787 and schedule your consultation.